MOOC: Aquaponics – the circular food production system
Von zhaw MOOC
- Understand the basic technological principles behind aquaponics, be able to assess the advantages and disadvantages of aquaponic systems, and have an insight into current research and potential applications in terms of urban agriculture and vertical farming.
- Be familiar with fish anatomy and physiology, fish feed and growth along with fish health and welfare.
- Understand the principles of fish cultivation in recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS), the required technical components, the calculation of dimensions in terms of engineering, and the important role of water treatment and monitoring.
- Understand basic plant anatomy, physiology, and growing requirements. Know the basic principles of hydroponics and its different cultivation systems. Be able to calculate the nutrient supply in hydroponic systems and determine nutrient supplementation in aquaponics if required.
- Be familiar with the plant varieties suitable for aquaponic systems, learn how to monitor plants, and understand the key factors of integrated pest management.
- Know how to assemble the basic components of an aquaponic system and understand the importance of water flow from one component to another. Be able to plan and design an aquaponic system and calculate its dimensions yourself.